Parish Magazine for April 2007
Valentine's Supper Dance
With shovels at the ready Bill Nield and I set about clearing the Hope Bagot Village Hall Car Park of the downfall of snow that occurred a few days before this event was due to take place. The weather did not deter either the dancers or Wayne Clent's disco and the warmth in the village hall with valentine's decorations and a hot supper meant that we all had a most enjoyable and energetic evening!! An extra cause for celebration was the happy occasion of Christine and Jim Lowe's Ruby Wedding anniversary. Christine and Jim as you danced around the floor you did not look old enough!! Many thanks to all who helped in any way to make the evening such a success.
Our annual pancake race did not turn out to be the “walkover” that it has been for the past three years. As the number of competitors was less than usual and the Whitton Whippet was unable to attend it was decided to have a unisex race. The Racing Rev met with stiff competition from the new “filly” entered by Roseleigh and the “dark horse” from the holiday cottage stables. Nevertheless the final close result was (1) Rev Claire Lording, (2) Nathan Rogers, (3) Clare Britten. Many thanks to Ysy and Alan Wozencroft for their hospitality and to the cooks for their mountains of pancakes which were consumed after the race together with coffee and sherry.
A Village Christmas
How time flies. Already we are at the pre-planning stage of A Village Christmas 2007. By kind invitation of Jane Perks we are to hold our event in the glorious setting of Whitton Paddocks, once again. This will be the weekend of 17th and 18th November. If you can help in any way, by attending workshops (scheduled to begin in early summer) or if you have any ideas, suggestions, or improvements on last year's event, we would love to hear from you. Mary Hyslop-Winn can be contacted on 891704.
The pre-AGM was held in church on Monday 26th February and was well attended. Among items discussed:
- The Annual Report and Accounts were agreed.
- Mrs Clare Cavenagh reported that 66 people had applied to go on the new Electoral Roll (down 3 on 2006).
- Mrs Aileen Hood reported that our Parish Share for 2007 was £5250, an increase of 5.5% on 2006. The meeting agreed to accept the increase.
- Mrs Sally Thompson, our Webmaster, presented an in depth report and statistics showing that our website is being visited by numerous people from all over the world. The PCC were amazed and delighted that our Church website is travelling so far and proving to be of such interest. A comment e-mailed from London: “this is the best church website I have seen”. Thanks were expressed to Sally for her dedication. www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk.
- PLEASE REMEMBER AGM on Monday 26th March in the Church at 7.30 pm. This is an open meeting for everyone on the Church Electoral Roll to attend and have an input into the life of the Church.
Future Fund Raising
Don't forget Brain of Whitton II - Saturday 31st March 7.30 pm, Hope Bagot Village Hall. Teams of 4 - £5 per person includes hot supper, bring your own drinks, glasses provided. FIRST PRIZE £40.
It is hoped to hold a summer concert in the Church on Saturday 30th June with canapes and bubbly in the churchyard. More details next month but put the date in your diary.
Easter Dawn Eucharist
We are happy to be hosting the Dawn Eucharist Service on Easter Day (April 8th) at 6 AM followed by breakfast at Whitton Paddocks by kind invitation of Jane Perks. Please bring your own egg cups and SET YOUR ALARMS.
From the Parish Register:
Baptism: Anthony Christopher Britten
On Sunday February 25th we welcomed Anthony into the Church on the occasion of his baptism. At the age of 3 Anthony is already a regular attender at services but this one proved to be a bit different for him!! Nevertheless Alan eventually managed to get the water on his forehead and it proved to be a happy event which no doubt Anthony will remember. After the service we all enjoyed coffee and christening cake.
- Jan 13th - Dawn Hoskins
- Jan 20th - Dorothy Shakespeare
- Jan 27th - Jane, Matthew and David Perks
- Feb 3rd - Don Hearn
- Feb 10th - Richard Tompkins
- Feb 17th - Jean Wall
- Feb 24th - Richard Tompkins
- March 3rd - Jackie and John Rolfe
- March 10th - Lisa Bell
Prayer at Eastertide
Lord God, as we celebrate the new life of Resurrection we pray that the Church may proclaim with joy your message of hope for the world. — AmenArchive of Previous Parish Magazines
Pencil sketch on this page by W A Green - website details on Contact page