Parish Magazine for December 2010
Rev Judith Dunkling
We send our best wishes to Judith and her Mother, Carol as they move to pastures new. We thank Judith for her work and guidance amongst us and we hope they will be happy in their new home and parishes.
We send our congratulations to Rev Claire Lording on her appointment as Rural Dean, the first female to attain the post in our deanery.
Many thanks to The Hall Family for keeping the flower box at the bottom of the village next to Whitton Brook looking so neat and tidy and also for keeping the grass mown regularly. It always looks so well cared for. Thank you for your time and trouble.
Our October PCC meeting held at the home of Tony and Topsy Easteal was very well attended and Rev Claire Lording presided. The main items that were discussed/agreed were as follows:
- Church Roof – Mr Easteal reported that he had spoken to our architect Mr Peter Taylor who agreed to contact English Heritage to see if funds would be available for the roof repair. Mr Easteal asked the PCC to think about our commitment to the car park, water, toilets and kitchen.
- Regarding the quinquennial report, discussion centred on the possibility of a working party doing some of the smaller repairs mentioned therein. It is hoped that work could commence in the spring. Mrs Kath Bills gave a most comprehensive report on both the Deanery Synod and Local Ministry Team.
- Rev Claire Lording suggested that we put Stewardship on our agenda.
- Mrs Mary Hyslop-Winn suggested that we hold an Open Gardens in 2011, all agreed – June 25th and 26th. Mrs Hyslop-Winn and Mr Michael Holmes to liaise.
- The next PCC meeting will be held at Smithy Bungalow on Monday 28th February 2011. Mr and Mrs Easteal were thanked for their hospitality.
Friday 3rd December with the Bell Inn Band at 7.30 pm. Tickets £6 includes punch, mince pies and lucky ticket draw. May I please ask for your usual generous offer of mince pies; also draw prizes would be welcomed. Tickets available from Michael (890332) or Mac (890009)
Friday 17th December
An evening of Carols, Readings, Music and Song at Hope Bagot Village Hall 7.30 pm. Tickets £5 includes hot supper. Please bring your own drink – glasses will be provided. Tickets available as above.
Saturday 22nd January 2011
Quiz at Hope Bagot Village Hall
Sunday 23rd January
Church Lunch (Details next month)
Saturday 12th February
Juke Box Jive Valentine's Supper Dance, Hope Bagot Village Hall
Sunday 19th December – Joint Greete and Whitton Carol Service of Nine Lessons and Carols at St James' Church, Greete at 6.30 pm.
Friday 24th December – Christmas Eve (midnight Mass at 9.00 pm!!) Carols and Holy Communion for Christmas.
We are currently in the process of drawing up rotas for 2011. If anyone would like to join the rota for intercessions or readings, would they kindly speak to Michael.
Just to remind those of you who pay by calendar year that your subscription will be due on 1st January; if you pay before 31st January the cost will be £6.60 a year, otherwise it will be £7.80.
At this time of year I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the life and work of the church and community. We have once again had a busy, lively and enjoyable year of fellowship and worship. Special thanks to our organist Don Hearn for his musical dexterity and to Rosemary Edwards for the numerous delicious chocolate birthday cakes which are so much appreciated by everyone. Our thanks also to our Team Clergy and members of the Local Ministry Team for continuing to make our worship at St Mary's so special. THANK YOU FOR BEING PART OF IT AND A VERY HAPPY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL.
Recent winners were:
- October 16th Jean Wall
- October 23rd Pat Hunter
- October 30th Barry and Mary Winn
- November 6th Chris and Ann Kemp
Cleaning and Flower Rota
December – Kath Bills and Viv Pimm
From the Parish Register
On Thursday 21st October the ashes of Irene Kathleen Jones were interred in the grave of her brother Gerald Meeks whom many of you will remember died in the Second World War. For a number of years Irene lived at Grooms Cottage, Whitton Court. In 1953 she moved to Far Forest and subsequently to Cookley; she died on 31st July a few days before her 90th birthday. May her soul rest in peace.
Prayer for Christmas
Thank you, God for the wonderful gift of your son, Jesus, as we celebrate His birthday. Help us to remember Him as we give and receive gifts, taking time to pray for each person and for those who have nothing. Help us, Lord, to fill this Christmas with you and with your love, peace and joy. — AmenArchive of Previous Parish Magazines
Pencil sketch on this page by W A Green - website details on Contact page