Parish Magazine for October 2011
Rev Dr Chris Moore
We were all very sorry to hear at our well attended September Evensong that Chris will be moving to pastures new shortly; the news was greeted with mixed emotions, whilst we are sad at losing Chris, we are delighted at his promotion and offer him our very sincere congratulations. The beginning of a new chapter in his ministry. Chris will be Priest-in-Charge for the Parish of Fownhope and four neighbouring village churches, all in the Hereford Archdeaconry. Chris, many, many thanks for your Ministry amongst us, we all will greatly miss you. We hope you and the family will be very happy in your new home.
The July PCC meeting held at Carpenter's House was well attended and chaired by Rev Claire Lording.
The main items of business were:
- The sacristy floor which is made of tessellated tiles is splitting and cracking and various options were discussed as to the best way forward. No decision was reached and it will be put on the agenda for the October PCC meeting.
- The Victorian White and Red Burse and Veil were showing signs of wear. Mary Hyslop-Winn and Topsy Easteal to look into the possibility of making new ones.
- Shropshire Historic Churches Trust 2012 calendar for sale with photos of St Mary's Whitton at a cost of £7.50 with £1 to our church. Contact Michael Holmes.
- Mr Barry Winn agreed to oversee the working party to carry out church building maintenance. Work will start on a weekly basis on Wednesdays.
- Mrs Kath Bills gave the LMDG report and highlighted the courses for the next twelve months.
Mary and Barry Winn were thanked for their hospitality.
The next PCC meeting will be held at Parkside, Whitton on Monday 24th October at 7.30pm.
Our service will be held on Sunday 9th October at 6.30pm followed by Harvest Supper at Hope Bagot and Whitton Village Hall. May I please ask for your usual generous offer of fruit, veg and foliage for the church decoration which will take place on the Saturday. As is our custom at Harvest the collection will be given to Sight Savers. Please bring your own drinks – glasses will be provided. Offers of food to Kath Bills on 01299 270367 please by 2nd October. We look forward to a full church. Any help in decorating the Village Hall for the Harvest Supper would be most welcome. If you have any greenery or similar and a little time to spare please come at 10.00am on Friday morning. See you there.
Operation Christmas Child
It's time again – leaflets and covered boxes are in the Church (many thanks to Mary's Tuesday ladies). This year, with the 2012 Olympics coming soon, Samaritan's Purse suggest that we give the boxes a ‘sporty’ theme – idea being to include perhaps a tennis ball, skipping rope, baseball hat, swimming goggles – I'm sure you will think of others. I'll let you know the destinations of our boxes shortly but we know they will go to needy and deserving children, so many thanks in anticipation of your usual generosity. — Kath Bills
Once again we are selling Christmas Cards depicting the Burne-Jones/William Morris window. (We still have quite a stock.) These can be collected from the church or ordered from Michael Holmes (890332).
This year's concert will be held on Friday 2nd December at 7.30 pm. Tickets at £6.00 each will cover the draw, punch and mince pies. Music will be by the Bell Inn Band. (You may remember that last year's concert had to be cancelled due to snow and ice, we hope for better weather this year!) We look forward to a packed church. Tickets will be available shortly from Michael Holmes (890332).
A start has been made on end of year clearing of the churchyard. This is a mammoth task; and we must thank Bill Nield for strimming and also thanks to Tony Easteal, David Rhoden and to Mark Shakespeare for removing the grass from the churchyard. We hope to have the work completed shortly.
Recent winners were:
- August 13th Tony Thompson
- August 20th Topsy and Tony Easteal
- August 27th Pauline Wedell
- September 3rd Janté and Andrew Baird
- September 10th Aileen Hood
October – Mrs Lyn Wozencroft.
Thought for Harvest
As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease. — Gen 8:22Archive of Previous Parish Magazines
Pencil sketch on this page by W A Green - website details on Contact page