Parish Magazine for December 2012
It is with great regret that we have had to CANCEL this event on Friday 7th December due to the band not being able to fulfil the engagement.
The October PCC meeting was well attended and was chaired by Rev Claire Lording. The main items that were discused/agreed were as follows:
- Mr Tony Easteal reported that he had now received the preliminary specification for the roof which included new guttering and down pipes, the East Window stonework and plaster repairs. The architects will ask four companies for quotations. It is hoped that work would commence April-May next year. The Bat survey stated that only one long-eared bat had been seen and therefore there would be no problem with bats and the roof. It had cost £900!!!
- Mr Easteal also reported that the Parish Share for next year would increase by 1.56%.
- The Royal British Legion had contacted Mr Easteal about the War Memorial as in 2014 there would be special services to mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War. Mr McGuinness said he had timber put aside from the oak trees that were cut a few years ago, to enable a cross to be made and insert the original piece (which has the names on). Then a working party would be organsed to repair the plinth and insert the cross with gravel tampered in.
- The Mission Action Planning sub-committee had met and a report was presented at the meeting. This was discussed and agreed. More details next month.
- The next meeting will be on Monday 11th February 2013 at The Cottage by kind invitation of Chris and Ann Kemp.
Annual Service of Remembrance
After a lovely sunny autumn day we gathered at St Mary's for the Annual Service of Remembrance and Thanksgiving on Sunday 11th November. The Service commenced with Evensong which was led by Rev Sue Foster. Sue preached a very moving sermon which gave us lots to think about and I for one keep reflecting on her words!! The wreath was presented by Sophie Cavenagh and laid by David Rhoden and Christine Bourne. The Roll of Honour from the parishes of Greete and Whitton was read by Churchwarden Tony Easteal. The citation was spoken by Stuart McGuinness. Many, many thanks to Aileen Hood for the stunning flower and poppy displays. Whitton villagers contributed £85 to the Poppy Appeal which included £25 from the church for the wreath.
Fund Raising/December Services
Tuesday 18th December
An evening of Carols, Readings, Music and Song at Hope Bagot Village Hall 7.30pm. Tickets £5 includes hot supper. Please bring your own drink - glasses will be provided. Tickets from Michael as above.
Sunday 23rd December Joint Greete and Whitton Carol Service of 9 Lessons and Carols at St Mary's, Whitton, at 6.30pm. Could I kindly ask once again for offers of light refreshments please.
Monday 24th December Christmas Eve (midnight Mass at 9pm!!). Carols and Holy Communion for Christmas.
Advance Notice Church Lunch — Sunday 27th January following morning service. More details next month.
We are currently in the process of drawing up rotas for 2013. If anyone would like to join the rota for taking intercessions or readings, would they kindly speak to Michael.
Just to remind you who pay by calendar year that your subscription will be due on 1st January; if you pay before 31st January the cost will be £7.80 a year or otherwise it will be £9.00 (note a slight increase).
At this time of the year I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the life and work of the church and community. We have once again had a lively and enjoyable year of fellowship. Special thanks to our organist Mr Don Hearn for his wonderful musical accompaniment, we are extremely grateful to you and I know at times it has not been easy for you to play. Rose Edwards has again made a number of her wonderful chocolate cakes to celebrate parishioners' birthdays. Thank you Rose.
Thank you for being part of it and a very happy and blessed Christmas to you all.
Sally Thompson writes “Thanks so much to Pauline Wedell for her past support of the 49 Club as she has now relinquished her number. As you all know, Peter Thomas has taken over Edie Rhoden's old number, so if anyone else would like to join (or have an additional number), then number 49 will be vacant from January 2013. Please let Sally or Michael know, and remember that it is only £1 a week and provides (a) a weekly chance to win £25 and (b) an annual donation of £1,248 to the church if the club is fully subscribed.”
Recent winners were:
- October 20th Chris and Ann Kemp
- October 27th Chrissy Bourne (late Edie Rhoden's number)
- November 3rd David and Lyn Wozencroft
- November 10th Sally Thompson
Cleaning Rota - December
Kath Bills, Viv Pimm and Sarah Watkins
A Text for Christmas Time
May the Spirit of the season bring you peace. The gladness of the season bring you hope. The warmth of the season grant you love. May the pieace and joy of the season be yours throughout the New Year.Archive of Previous Parish Magazines
Pencil sketch on this page by W A Green - website details on Contact page